How we are operating during the Covid-19 pandemic
As an essential service, the team here at BC Communications remains ready to serve and support you during the Covid-19 crisis.
B.C. Communications is open for service, sales and rentals of radios, accessories and systems. We have gone to great lengths to ensure we are minimizing risk at every step. Many of our staff are working remotely from home and we are rotating shifts to minimize activity at our shop. Our technical support group has been divided into separate response teams that are isolated from each other so we can keep providing on-site service. We have also implemented a rigorous cleaning schedule to disinfect contact surfaces and we are carefully following Motorola’s guidelines for cleaning and disinfecting our rental radios.
BCC has taken the following steps early on to prevent the spread of Covid-19 in our organization:
- We have scaled back staffing and mandated that all staff work from home where possible
- Our shop is large making distancing natural, we maintain at least 6' from one another
- We currently don't get many customers that drop by, but when they do they are not permitted inside work areas. This includes couriers
- Only one staff per vehicle is allowed
- Frequent 20 second hand-washing, facemasks are used while near others, high touch surfaces are sanitized several times per day including vehicles (as per Bonny Henry's advice)
- Isolation will be mandatory if any staff members are feeling ill
- Radios and other equipment in for repair are sanitized prior to staff handling, and when complete.
- Technician outside work is only allowed for customers with physical distancing measures. Technicians are asked to comply with all measures while on site. Technicians to assume ALL surfaces they touch are contaminated and that they are contaminating everything they touch.
- We have suspended physical signatures and handling of paper pens. Photos are used instead.
- Continuous communication regarding potential threats is communicated among staff.
Here are some tips to help keep you and your employees safe while using radios:
- Where possible assign and label radios for specific employees to reduce radio sharing.
- If earpieces/headsets are being used, we recommend each employee be provided their own personal earpiece for sanitary purposes.
- Check the health/age of your batteries to ensure you have reliable communications when you most need it most. Typically, batteries older than 3 years should be replaced.
- If your radios need to be serviced and cleaned, now would be a good time to do so.
- Click here to review Motorola’s guidelines for cleaning and disinfecting radios.
Radio use can help with social distancing while ensuring reliable communications for critical operations. If you don’t have enough radios, we can rent you additional radios on a temporary basis. We also rent and sell satellite phones if you need a back-up plan in case your cell provider goes down at an inopportune moment.
If there is any way we can be of assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.